Frequently Asked Questions
- PROFESSIONAL is the full-featured program. The DELUXE EDITION will have all of the features of the PROFESSIONAL EXCEPT FOR NETWORKING; the DELUXE EDITION CANNOT have Multiple Users accessing the same database simultaneously, Network Downloads from Biometers such as the IOL Master or LENSTAR or run under CompuLink and other Practice Management Systems.
- We don’t have any official training. We have several PDFs that can be helpful. You can access them under UTILITIES from the MAIN MENU - click DOCUMENTATION. The built-in help is also very good. Dr. Holladay teaches courses for the Drs. and Techs at AAO& ASCRS … there are thousands of users.
- There are several sources of documentation:
Licensing and Purchasing
- Before registering or unlocking, you must Install HICSOAP first. When starting HicSoap, you will be prompted for an unlock key and, at the same time, given a registration number. Click the “SEND (Email) Registration” Button, which will automatically send the REGISTRATION INFORMATION and number to email@example.com, and we will email back an unlock key. If the “SEND (Email) Registration” Button does not work, please manually compose an email to firstname.lastname@example.org.
- We allow 3 active installations per license.
- No. There are no discounts for educational use, volume purchasing, non-profit use, or non-US countries.
- No. It requires Windows 10.
- Yes, it will work in 32-bit or 64-bit Windows 10.
- It requires a screen resolution of at least 1280x1024
- The database portion of the program may be stored on a server. It is simply one Microsoft Access database file. The program itself (not the data) should be installed on the workstation (not the server). For more networking instructions, please see http://hicsoap.abcomputersolutions.com/p/networking
- No. When you install a newer version on a computer with a working, unlocked installation of HICSOAP, you should not have to do anything with unlocking or registering. However, if this is not the case, you may need to update the unlock key manually. See https://hicsoap.abcomputersolutions.com/p/update/update-requires-support.
- The answer is YES but be smart about it. The updates contain bug fixes and therefore are important for you to install. We include the release date in the version number of the new release. For example, version 2013_0601 was released June 1, 2013. We do test each new update before we release, but like any software, there can be problems with the update. So, I recommend that you be smart about installing the update. That means:
- Make a backup of your data before installing
- Install it at a time that affords you some time to deal with any potential problems.
- At the bottom of every screen is a HELP BUTTON. When this is clicked, pertinent information regarding that screen is displayed. Also, at the top of every screen on the Task Bar is a HELP option, which has several choices, but the first two are CONTENTS and INDEX. If these are chosen, a list of topics in the Program is available, which, when DISPLAYED, provides additional information.
- It usually takes from 30 to 50 cases, and PLC will appear on the IOL CALC SCREEN and PRINTOUT (in place of MFG CONSTANT or Surgeon Entered Constant).
- The program will not start if the database or the installation is corrupted. If the database is corrupted, a message is displayed asking to repair or restore the database. The first time this happens, select no and try to start it. If that does not work, start again, select yes and follow the prompts. If that does not resolve the problem, please contact technical support.
- This is frequently caused by the connection to the database file not working. First, verify that you are still able to access the HICSOAP database file or at least verify that your connection to the network is good. Then the short answer to the dialog box is click NO. This fixes the problem 75% of the time. The long answer for when that doesn’t work is please consult http://hicsoap.abcomputersolutions.com/p/troubleshooting/repair-or-restore
- The system (HICSOAP PROFESSIONAL + biometer (IOL MASTER/LENSTAR)) doesn’t support multiple people with the same name DOB or the same person being scanned more than once. If you have a patient measured by the biometer more than once (or equivalently another patient with the same name), then you need to give him a new name so that his data will be imported into HICSOAP PROFESSIONAL. For example, if John Public returns for another procedure, enter him as John Public2. If you don’t do this, then the original patient’s data may get overwritten.
- On the TORIC PREOP PLANNER screen, the TORIC LENS FROM ACTIVE LENS LIST automatically populates with ONLY the TORIC IOLs in your Active Lens List. Hence you must add lenses to your ACTIVE LENS LIST that are TORIC. To see a complete list of available TORIC lenses, go to MAIN MENU -> PROGRAM & SURGEON SETUP -> SURGEON LENS SETUP tab, select a surgeon, click SEARCH, click the TORIC check box, and then you will see all the available TORIC lenses. Please note that the x in the lens name denotes a number like 1 and 2 and 3.
- Our program “rides” on top of Windows networking. So if you can’t get the required connectivity to work using WINDOWS EXPLORER, then it doesn’t make sense to try doing it with HICSOAP PROFESSIONAL. To troubleshoot this, use WINDOWS EXPLORER (not Internet Explorer) to access the appropriate shared folder over the network. The folder will be something like \\Iolmxxxxx\Export, where xxxxxx is a number. When you can do this using WINDOWS EXPLORER, it will work with HICSOAP PRO.
- The current location of the database can be determined from MAIN MENU -> PROGRAM & SURGEON SETUP -> ADVANCED SETTINGS. The CURRENT DATABASE FILE and the DATABASE BACKUP DIRECTORY are shown.
- Backup database on old computer.
- Install program on new computer.
- Restore backup database from old computer to new computer. On the main menu, click on database and then restore.
- Verify new computer working with intact database.
- Do Registration Removal Procedure on old computer. UTILITIES -> REMOVE REGISTRATION.
- CLICK the SEND (Email) REGISTRATION after completing the fields and the INFORMATION. It will be sent to email@example.com. The REGISTRATION REMOVAL KEY from the OLD COMPUTER must also be sent. This way, you won’t use up an additional unlock key.
- In a multi-user environment, if you move the database to another location, the other computers need to be configured to access this database.
- Either the BACKUP FILE is CORRUPTED, and you should use a PREVIOUS BACKUP, or the CLINIC NAME on the NEW INSTALLATION IS NOT IDENTICAL to the OLD. The CLINIC NAME is found under SETUP shown below.
- Go to MAIN MENU -> PROGRAM & SURGEON SETUP -> ADVANCED SETTINGS tab.
- Click CHANGE and SELECT desired database file.